These pre-drilled Balau Mahogany
posts are drilled with holes only large enough for our thin cable infill to pass through for a clean, snug fit. Use as Intermediate Posts
in your run, and space them no more than 4' apart.NOTE:
For stairs and other situations where custom hole-drilling is required, order undrilled
Balau is one of five main groupings for Meranti (also called Lauan) wood. The other four are called Light Red Meranti, Dark Red Meranti, White Meranti, and Yellow Meranti. These woods are members of the Shorea genus and are very popular in southeast Asia. Each group offers different characteristics and benefits.Benefits/Technical Information:
ALL POSTS ARE OVERSIZED AND MUST BE CUT DOWN ON JOB SITE.
- Material: Balau Mahogany, aka Batu Mahogany
- Net Size: 3.5" x 3.5"
- Length Options:
- 42 w/ 11 predrilled holes (requiring 11 cable runs), for
a total railing height of 36" above deck boards
- 48 w/ 13 predrilled holes (requiring 13 cable runs), for a total railing height of 42" above deck boards
- Naturally resistant to rot, decay, and insect attacks
- Highly durable, strong, and easy to maintain
- Engineered to resist checking, cracking, and warping
- Withstands greater loads over greater distances than solid-sawn wood
- Sourced from sustainably managed forests
- Uses less wood fiber per board for increased sustainability
CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING:
- Which METHOD will you use for mounting your posts?
- What top rail material and design would you like?
- Use either PROFESSIONAL SWAGING SERVICE or HAND SWAGING.
If you use our PROFESSIONAL SWAGING SERVICE
for both ends of the cable run, then skip intermediate posts all together. You'll need TERMINAL POSTS
for the entirety of your run to accommodate the pre-attached fittings.
If HAND SWAGING
instead (which is recommended)
, then here is some information that will help you calculate the number of intermediate posts you need:
The first and last post of your run (where the cable starts and stops) will have to be TERMINAL POSTS. You will need two INTERMEDIATE POSTS for every 90 degree corner. For the straight parts of your run, the intermediate posts will be spaced evenly (4' Max).
Online assistance can be found through our FAQ
. Consult the WORKSHEET
pages for additional information and inspiration. Call us anytime at 1-888-686-7245 (RAIL)
or email firstname.lastname@example.org