Our exclusive line of engineered Balau Mahogany
posts are designed for strength, a quality especially important for the first and last posts of your run, which must withstand the tension of taunt marine-grade stainless steel cables. These posts are drilled as Terminal Posts
for thru post fitting assemblies
posts for stairs. If you are securing your cables to the inside face of your terminal post (rather than securing through
the post), order undrilled
posts as well as wood post surface mount assemblies
Balau is one of five main groupings for Meranti (also called Lauan) wood. The other four are called Light Red Meranti, Dark Red Meranti, White Meranti, and Yellow Meranti. These woods are members of the Shorea genus and are very popular in southeast Asia. Each group offers different characteristics and benefits.Benefits/Technical Information:
ALL POSTS ARE OVERSIZED AND MUST BE CUT DOWN ON JOB SITE.
- Material: Balau Mahogany, aka Batu Mahogany
- Net Size: 3.5" x 3.5"
- Length Options:
- 42” w/ 11 predrilled holes (requiring 11 cable runs), for
a total railing height of 36" above deck boards
- 48” w/ 13 predrilled holes (requiring 13 cable runs), for a total railing height of 42" above deck boards
- Naturally resistant to rot, decay, and insect attacks
- Highly durable, strong, and easy to maintain
- Engineered to resist checking, cracking, and warping
- Withstands greater loads over greater distances than solid-sawn wood
- Sourced from sustainably managed forests
- Uses less wood fiber per board for increased sustainability
CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING:
- Which METHOD will you use for mounting your posts?
- What top rail material and design would you like?
- Use either PROFESSIONAL SWAGING SERVICE or HAND SWAGING.
If using our PROFESSIONAL SWAGING SERVICE
at both ends of your cable run, your entire run must be composed of TERMINAL POSTS
in order for the swaged fittings to pass through. Get two for each corner. For straight sections, space your posts evenly with a maximum of 4' between them.
If HAND SWAGING (recommended)
, you will need TWO TERMINAL POSTS
; one at the beginning of your run and one at the end. If you have a particularly long run, or one with a lot of corners, you might consider breaking the railing into smaller cable sections to allow proper cable tensioning, thus requiring additional terminal posts (at the beginning and end of each smaller section). All other posts in your system will be Intermediate Posts. For this assembly method, order thru post fitting assemblies
For help or assistance, call 1-888-686-7245 (RAIL)
, or send an estimate form with ordering questions to email@example.com
. Additional information on our products and the ordering process can be found in our FAQ
, and VIDEO